11th EMECS Conference
- EMECS11 – Sea Coasts XXVI Joint Conference
- Managing Risks to Coastal Regions and Communities in a Changing World
- August 22 – 27, 2016
- Azimut Hotel / Russian State Hydrometeorological University (RSHU) / A.P.
Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (VSEGEI), St. Petersburg, Russia
- International EMECS Center, “Sea Coasts” Working Group of the Russian, Academy of Sciences
- Russian State Hydrometeorological University (RSHU), P.P. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IO RAS) , A.P.Karpinsky Russian Geological Research Institute (VSEGEI)
Overview of the conference
The International EMECS Center held the 11th International Conference on the Environmental Management of Enclosed Coastal Seas (EMECS 11) in the city of Saint Petersburg in the Russian Federation, as a joint conference with the “Sea Coasts” Working Group of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The theme of the conference was “Managing Risks to Coastal Regions and Communities in a Changing World,” and the conference was attended by 365 researchers and other interested parties from 21 countries around the world. From Japan, some 80 researchers and others involved in research into enclosed coastal sea environments attended the conference, including Vice-Governor of Hyogo Prefecture Kazuo Kanazawa, International EMECS Center President Motoyuki Suzuki and a group from the Hyogo Prefectural Assembly headed by Vice-Chair Hyakuo Fujimoto.
Following the opening ceremony and the plenary session, the conference featured the ICM and Satoumi Special Session, individual sessions at three different venues and a Students and Schools Partnership (SSP) session. 130 oral presentations and 116 poster presentations were given at the conference.
At the closing ceremony, the Saint Petersburg Declaration and the Students and Schools Partnership Declaration were adopted. In addition, it was announced that the next EMECS Conference, EMECS 12, will be held in 2018 in Pattaya, Thailand.
In addition to the formal conference events, a city tour was held on the afternoon of August 25, and a technical excursion to the Flood Protection Barrier and the city of Kronshtadt was held on the final day, August 27.
- Outline of the conference（PDF：1.1MB）
- Saint Petersburg Declaration（PDF：77KB）
- Students and Schools Partnership Declaration (SSP Declaration)（PDF：71KB）